Monday 15 October 2012

Dredd 3D

Decided to go out for some late evening shopping with the fiance, and while we were out, we decided to check out Dredd 3D.
Now admittedly, I don't know a heck of a lot about Judge Dredd. I wasn't sure about the movie either, the trailer didn't really grab me.
But I was pleasantly surprised! I really enjoyed it. I think it always helps if you don't really know too much of the back story though. If you know the comics really well, you will always be more of a critic!

He is judge, jury and executioner!

 I won't go into too much depth with the plot, but basically Dredd is instructed to test a new rookie, and they end up getting themselves into a whole world of trouble! They walk into a slum controlled by Ma-Ma, an ex prostitute, leader of a growing crime ring and manufacturer of a new drug "Slo-Mo."

The drug basically makes the brain experience life in a fraction of it's normal speed. Because of this drug effect, they were able to use some really cool slow motion CG. It was done really well and didn't feel like they over did it. Also if you see it in 3D, the 3D really enhanced the effects! It's great when 3D actually feels like it was supposed to be there, not just added as an after thought.

I think Karl Urban did a good job as Judge Dredd. Pretty difficult to act as a character who has half his face covered the entire movie! In contrast to Dredd's toughness, the female rookie 'Anderson' doesn't wear her helmet. I think this added a softness to the movie, especially with how gritty and violent the mega city is made out to be.

Anyway.. if you have a quiet evening, this is definitely one to check out. You'll have to Judge for yourself ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment