Sunday 16 September 2012

Black Cat Cosplay (work in progress)

*Edit to see my final cosplay go here.
Earlier this year I joined the gym. I wasn't feeling too happy where I was at weight wise, so I've been going hard and lost 11kgs so far.
Since I've been loosing so much, my way of celebrating is to put together my first serious cosplay for the Armageddon Expo in Auckland in October!

This is Black Cat (Aka Felicia Hardy.) She appears in the Spiderman comics as Peter Parkers 'on and off again' girl friend.

So far I've got most of my costume sorted, I just have to edit it all to make it look like Black Cat!


Black Cat mask (could also double as a Ms Marvel mask.)

First up I had to make the mask. I saw a cool tutorial online that showed a basic way of making masks, out of those horrible white craft masks you can buy! I hand sketched it out, and just cut it out of the mask. It actually came out really well! I'll remember this for other superhero cosplays. It looks a little crooked in the photo above but it's fairly straight when I have it on. I'll be sticking the mask to my face with a prosthetic glue called Spirit Gum.

Testing what it looks like on my face.
Next step is to spray paint your mask the colour you want, just don't spray paint the back of the mask.

Me playing with my new superhero mask! Derp!
So pretty much with the rest of my costume, Ebay has been a good source for the other parts of the costume. I purchased a cat suit, corset and gloves on Ebay, as they'll be the base of my costume (and I'm not that great at sewing, so for my first cosplay I'm just happy buying parts!)

Photo of me in my corset when had just arrived.
I picked up some boots on sale too so I was pretty pleased with that. I didn't want to spend too much on boots since I'll be attaching fur to them.

My suit just arrived, so I decided to do a trial run!
So now I have almost all the parts I need, there are only a few bits left to do. The biggest part is attaching fur to the gloves, boots and collar. Also I wanna say thanks to my awesome fiance for helping me with all this stuff, it's been a fairly big project trying to find all the right parts!
More photos to come as my cosplay comes together! :D

*Edit, more photos!

 Sewing on all the fur was a two person job! Thankfully my Mum helped me with this one! I needed to be wearing the gloves as she stitched on the fur!

Here I was just working out the size of the fur I needed, and I tried to get both fur pieces to have fur flowing in a similar direction!
Fur laid out ready to be glued on!



Completed furry boots! I love them, I wish I could just wear these down the street without looking like a total freak haha!

Also I finished off a black leather choker necklace to wear (which I'll have to take photos of at some point!)
I just got a black leather buckle choker, so the buckle sits at the back of my neck. My fiance punched a hole in the leather in the front, and we attached a super cute name tag to it with "Felicia" printed on it!
I had so much fun putting this all together. Can't wait to do a second cosplay :D

Anyway to check out the finished product go here.
AND MORE - Check out photo's of me taken at the Con here!! 

11 comments:

  1. Collecting figures, wearing cosplay, collecting artbooks, its funny how if you like one of those things you tend to like all of those things. Your Black Cat outfit looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think those different things all kind of blend together, I used to be more into anime, but these days it's mostly comic stuff. I've nearly finished the costume now, I've added the fur, just gotta work on the finishing touches :)

      Delete
  2. Your costume is amazing! Where did you find the fur that you used?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hiya! Thank you! I just found the fur at a local fabric store!

      Delete
  3. Link for the mask tutorial, please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! You can find the tutorial here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_kxePFzSMs
      :)

      Delete
  4. Hi! your costume looks amazing! Just wondered what sort of catsuit did you buy on Ebay? there are so many to choose from! thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done!! I'm just putting together my 'homemade' outfit too. Thanks for letting us know how you made the mask, way better than paying megabucks for a pre made one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That said I immediately wished to earn something different by it. And it's great to devote part of yourself to something. If you are more curious about cosplay hero visit at this site.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am impressed. I don't think Ive met anyone who knows as much about this subject as you do. You are truly well informed and very intelligent. You wrote something that people could understand and made the subject intriguing for everyone. Really, great blog you have got here. ラバースーツ

    ReplyDelete