Monday 9 July 2012

Black Widow Covert Ops Bishoujo Figure Review

Kotobukiya decided to do an updated version of their bishoujo figure 'Black Widow'.
The new Black Widow is now a larger scale than the first figure, fitting in nicely with the larger bishoujos.
If you have the original, don't worry, she's totally different to the first figure.

I'm not quite sure why they did an updated version of Black Widow, other than the Avengers movie was out recently. I also don't know if this means we'll see a redo on the other smaller figures (eg. Rogue, Phoenix etc.)
All I know is I love the new Black Widow! Keep reading to find out why.


When I saw this up on Kotobukiya's website I wasn't impressed. The original promotion pictures weren't great, and the black costume version of the figure looked like she had pink hair.
I wasn't ok with the pink hair, and I figured I'd just end up ordering the grey limited edition version.
The hair however, was changed to the same colour as the grey costume. I'm really pleased because the black costume version comes with a rifle, and the grey costume only comes with a knife. A gun is certainly more bad ass!

All the parts that come with Black Widow.
Ok so first up, this is what you get with the black costume version. Normal hand, rifle hand, Daredevil mask, Black Widow and the base.
When you get her out of the box, she isn't attached to the base. Putting her together is easy though, her foot just slots easily into the ground, and her hand sorta rests over the brick wall. The Brick wall is screwed onto the base. (Far easier to assemble than X-23.)

The only peg is in her foot, the rest of her is stabilized with her hand resting on the wall.
One thing to note is that the Daredevil mask is just a loose part. I think I've mentioned before that I'm not a fan of loose parts. Mostly because I'm scared that it'll get lost. The positive side to it however is you can remove it all together if you don't like the mask. It gives you options.

Who wears it better, Black Widow or Catwoman?
Black Widow certainly has "assets," but they haven't ignored her chest area either! Her boobs are a nice size and shape (don't look saggy) and her suit really shows them off. I think Catwoman may have met her match as far as black leather suits go! The zipper has very nice detailing, and the paint job is spotless.

Nice, even from the back.
Pretty swirling hair!
I'm so glad Kotobukiya got rid of the pink hair! The hair is super pretty, loads of detail, and it's moving in just the right direction.

Here's the bum shot! :D
With this figure, they've got her in such a pose, that you can almost see boobs and bum at the same time. I think she's certainly more on the sexier end of the scale as far as bishoujos go.

Shiny bum! Also in this photo, you can see one strand of hair that looks just "stuck on," the only thing I didn't like.
She looks a little un-co, but cute!
Rifle hand option.
Now for some photos with the rifle. I love the rifle hand option, so she'll be displayed with it. It's really easy to swap the hands too if you like to change them a lot.

You don't have to have her displayed with the Daredevil mask.
Now she looks like a killer!
 Her rifle is nicely detailed in a gun metal grey, and wood look handle. It's a nice size too.

So many details on this figure.
The gun looks natural in her grip!

The leather suit looks like real leather. Nice folds and wrinkles that add to the realism.
I think this shot is my favorite of the ones I took of Black Widow. It's also my current wallpaper!
She has a really nice face, cute eyes and pink lips!

So fun to photograph!

I think there is only one thing that actually bugs me about this figure. That's the size of the base. If you have as many figures as I do, you understand the pain of trying to find space for all of them!
I think her base could have been a bit smaller. She'd still be able to balance.

Other than that, she's pretty spot on. You can see the quality of the newer bishoujo figures is much better from when they originally started. If you're into Black Widow and the other bishoujo figures, but you're not sure if you should get her or not, you won't be disappointed.

Size comparison with Storm. They have about the same body size, Storm just looks massive because of her base and hair.

Original Artwork by Shunya Yamashita.

9 comments:

  1. Hey I just discovered your blog yesterday. I love it. It turns out we collect a lot of the same types of figures. I'll be keeping my eye on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and by the way what figure do you think you will buy next? Its cool if it takes you awhile to answer, I know I took a brake from my blog for awhile--> http://andrewjpierceart.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Andrew :D Thanks for checking out my blog! I have quite a few more things I have to review but haven't had the time! I think the next figure I've got my eye on is the bishoujo Harley Quinn. But I'll be heading to Armageddon expo in October, I might find a few things to buy there! :D

      Delete
  3. Nice review! :)

    I've got the limited edition ordered, which I should receive sometime next week. I chose it over this one because I really like the color of the suit and the Hawkeye mask. Your awesome photos kinda make me regret my decision though, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll love the one you ordered! She looks even more amazing in real life, it won't matter which colours you choose! :)

      Delete
    2. You're right. I got her a few days ago and I think she's gorgeous. I'm happy I ordered one!

      I also noticed in an older post of yours that you liked the look of the Bishoujo Harley Quinn statue. If you buy one, do you think you'll do a review? I think she comes out in a few weeks, and I'm on the fence about getting her.

      Delete
    3. Yeah I'm still keen to order Harley, and when she arrives I'll get a review up asap :D

      Delete
  4. Thanks to this review, this is gonna be my next figure.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's beautiful, and even more so in person! Glad you liked my review :D

      Delete